sign created by Jim Restin

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Wellness of Spirit Experience

It is in helping others that we help ourselves......

   Saturday, 7am, off to help with my home host's free geriatric health clinic in a rural town in Jamaica. My friend,the nurse, plus 2 other health professionals,provide through the auspices of the Lion's Club International, monthly geriatric clinics on Saturday mornings, serving over 100 people on a bi-monthly schedule.
   Meeting in the 200 year old plantation colonial-style meeting hall,surrounded by acres of HUGE ancient ficus trees(like the small ones we put in our American homes) and gracious fields, the people just kept coming.
   When we arrived, 25 were waiting respectfully & joyously ~ elderly men and women smiling toothless joyful grins, hugging and laughing, surrounding the nurse, pulling me close and declaring instantly: "I love you, sweetie!"

  Hours passed easily in the warm air, stirred by ancient ceiling fans in the arched wooden, open-sided hall. The nurse read blood pressure and dispensed medications, sent each one on for glaucoma meds if needed, and a quick private check-up with the doctor. I simply did as asked - recording names, dates and times on patient file cards, handing out appt. cards for October, sometimes promising to try to be there next time to see them smiling again.(IF my next permanent site will be close!)
   And the people kept coming ~ walking,ambling through the tall grass down the long drive from the Linstead road. It seemed an epic scene from some long ago time. Our last visitor came slowly, slowly...and couldn't give us her age...only her birth year of 1904!
   The Patois was garbled and hushed by those toothless mouths - but their eyes, and a few words - told their intent and gratitude. It was an opportunity of learning and giving like no other.
   As I circled the group with my camera,- finding more smiles, Nike hats on balding gray heads,bright red ruffled blouses on stooped shoulders, and beautiful joy and respect all around - 

...I knew I was exactly where I wanted to be...where I should be.

1 comment: